Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Village of Corniglia

As my legs were just beginning to get tired from the hike from Vernazza, I descended through the olive groves which soon turned to vineyards. Ambling down a combination of dirt paths and stairs, I finally caught my first glimpse of Corniglia. It seems to be the forgotten town of the Cinque Terre. I guess because its the middle village of the five it just doesn’t see the same number of visitors as those at the ends of the trail. It stands on the main road on top of a rocky cliff dropping to the sea - 300 ft; it is the only village this far from the sea. Corniglia’s is famous for it's vineyards and olive groves and has been so for some two thousand years. It's a good thing because it's seems as if the only occupants were a multitude of old people and stray cats. I walked a bit and took some photos and then returned back to Vernazza on the trail.

No comments: