Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pomegranates - gotta love those ruby red antitoxidants

It's pomegranate season here in Italy and boy do I love those tangy red seeds. My Italian neighbors have two trees growing in their front yard and ever since I came across this great recipe in the November edition of Bon appetit magazine I've been totally jones-ing to pick some. The recipe is for a Mediterranean Salad with Prosciutto and Pomegranate. Yum! So combine the tempting picture in the magazine along with the fact that I have to drive by this tree every time I take the girls to the bus stop and you've got some serious fruit envy going on... And it doesn't hurt also knowing that the ruby red seeds of the pomegranate are chock full of antioxidants which can help protect our cells from harmful antigens. So honestly making this recipe is really a medicinal must for our family. So what's a mother to do?... Should I steal some pomegranates in the cover of night or ask if it's okay to pick some of the tangy medicinal fruit.... Because I'm NOT a thief, only a COWARD, I sent my sweet, sweet, Hailey to go and ask if she could pick some of the miracle healing fruit. And because she is ever so helpful, and always ready to perform, she obliged. The truth is I'm not actually that big of a chicken I've just learned a few things over the past three years living in Italy. One of the things I've learned is that most Italians love, love, love, children, and have a hard time saying no to them....Of course they were going to say yes to Hailey. Who wouldn't?... Who couldn't?... And once again my knowledge of the Italian culture was spot on and in typical Italian fashion they also said she could come back whenever she wanted and pick as much fruit as she liked... Score!!!! I've included the yummy recipe in this blog. It was fab and absolutely worth sending Hailey in to do my dirty work as I can already feel the antioxidants working!

No comments: